Sunshine Adventures

Enjoy Life...Be Happy!

Sunday, August 17, 2008

Ode to Chicago and the Mercy boys

I just recently when on a wilderness trip with 7 amazing black men and one cutie wilderness wanna be. When meeting the boys...I wasn't so sure that 1) I would be able to relate 2) if they would really get along with me very well. These boy are so inspiring...I feel like I need to tell their story and how they affected me!

These young men join the Chicago Mercy home, when they realize by their own free will that the situation they are in is not going to set them up for success. They have to approach Mercy home...with an intent for change. They go through an application and interview process to receive this chance to change their current situation.

These men come from from it all abusive parents, gang life and a ton of other unfortunate circumstances. Everyone expects them to give up or give in and "roll with the punches".
These youth know that they can change their own fate. You would expect these youth to be withdrawn, fearful and lost. These boys did not fit that description.

They joked and laughed like no other crew I had ever met. They hiked up the mountains in the rain with asthma, sore knee's and heavy chests due to the altitude. But when it got tough they inspired each other to continue on. If they were frustrated they looked for a solution, brought to the group and hoped that the group would make the right decisions. Even though they may have butted heads a few times, they solved their issues with compassion and honesty.

And me...They took me in like their white/black sister that I never knew I could be. We slept under the same tent...roasting everyone and everything...for hours in rain and hail. We had inside jokes that still make me smile. There were moments when they needed me and there were moments when I needed them.

On the last day, when it was time to hike out...I was sad. I didn't want this group to dissipate. I knew once we made it down the mountain; The cell phones, Ipods, game systems and reality would set in. So I sat on a sunny rock and reflected on my summer of over coming loneliness, I realized I truly never felt a moment of loneliness with this group. I didn't think of my loses, or my decisions or my long distance friends. I lived for every moment I had with them. Just as I was having these thoughts a few of the boys came over, surprised by my anti-social behavior, they saw my watery eyes, and assured me of all the wonderful things the bottom of the mountain would bring. They once again made me laugh!

It reminds me to not take life so seriously...to be in the moment and life is not easy...challenges will come, but how you react to those challenges means everything!

I give full props to the Kelly house boys in Mercy home! You men have changed my life and my perspective! Thank-you for your humor and determination. You are going to be amazing men!

Love YOU! Kreature

No comments: